Thursday, October 16, 2008

Beach Time!


It has been two or three years since we vacationed at the beach, but this was the year.  A week in September at Newport and, I must say, I don't remember ever having such good weather. Here's the view from our balcony.  Before we checked in, I called and told them that my husband was on crutches, so we would probably be spending most of the time in our room, and it would be really nice if we had a good view.  They certainly came through, because it's likely that we may have had the villa with the best view of all. 
Our good friends Gary and Diane Anderson from Upland spent the first three days with us which made it a lot of fun.  They are great to have around.  Diane even treated us to cupcakes from "Sprinkles".   If I were a better blogger, I'd also have a picture of all of us going to the Crab Cooker and meeting the Guymons there for lunch on Tuesday.  They had come down from Utah to see and old neighbor and someone told them we were in town, so they called and we were able to hook up.

After the Andersons left, Stan spent a lot of time here, looking out over the ocean and reading his book.
On Wednesday after the Andersons left, I got a phone call from my sister, Melinda, and she and her husband, Randy, and their son, Robert, had just landed at the airport in Orange County.  I knew they were coming over for their grandson's baptism, but neither of us realized it was the same week we were going to be there.  Melinda happened to talk to my aunt that morning who told her we were in California.  So we got together that evening, and then the next day they all came out to see us at the beach.  Poor Stan had to stay back at the villa, (since the sandy beach isn't really very "crutch friendly" but the rest of us made the trek to Crystal Cove.  Here we are in the tunnel going under the highway--The Schamels (Randy, Melinda, and Robert) and the Kims (Leslie, Brian, Tyler, and Cameron).  Actually, Leslie took the picture so I could be in it. The tunnel is full of the politically correct environmental paintings by the school kids.  
They have been restoring the beach cottages at Crystal Cove for a long time, and it is really a "happening" place now.  This place with the umbrellas is the one you pass as you come down the path onto the beach.  It is a restaurant and there were lots of people there eating.  They also have picnic tables all along the front of the cottages.
Here's Leslie, Melinda, and Cameron--He's a real cutie!  All three of her boys are darling, and so well behaved.  I was glad to have the chance to get acquainted with them.
Just before we left, of course, everyone had to go check out the tide pools.
The next day they all came back for a trip over to Balboa Island.  Here's Grandma Melinda and Cameron on the ferry.
This picture needs no caption--just serves to make you all wish you were there, having a Balboa Bar with us.
Tyler Kim after his baptism--so proud of his new scriptures.  Such a sweet boy.  I was flattered to be asked to speak at his baptism.
On Sunday, before we left for home, we went to church at the Bosley's ward in Newport Beach and then went with Rita (Andrew's mom) to the convalescent facility where Ted (Andrew's dad) was and had a picnic.  We thought it would be fun to have a picture of the two Grandpas in their wheel chairs.  What a pair!!  It was fun to see the Bosleys again and we had such a nice visit as well as a yummy lunch.



4 comments:

Casey said...

Balboa Bars - now I'm drooling. Love those. I also LOVE the pic. of dad in the wheel chair. I wish I could have been there to see the Schamel's. What a fun visit. Someday we'll get together.

basquegirl said...

Man, I am so jealous! And I remember the tunnel with the (I think) creepy paintings. So much fun!
Great pictures!

Les and Cheryl said...

Love the pictures, especially the big one at the top. I'll take the challenge of the tag, but I still need need to think about it.

Rita said...

I love the picture of Stan and Ted. Matching wheelchairs! So glad you could have lunch with us that day.