Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bart to the Rescue!

Well, as fate would have it, three days after I brought Stan home from the hospital, I was attacked by a kidney stone--not good.  We realized immediately that I needed to get to the hospital, but Stan was of no help in that department being on crutches and all drugged up on pain meds.  My visiting teacher was out of town, so I finally called my next door neighbor who is soooo nice, and she and her husband came and whisked me off to the emergency room.  I was there for a few hours, and then the bishop and his wife came and retrieved me, took me home, and even went to the pharmacy to get my prescriptions filled.  Such nice people.  As soon as Bart and Marie found out what had happened, they insisted that Bart was coming down to help out (or to determine if it was time to put the old folks in a home).  So Thursday night (Sept. 4) Bart arrived.  He went right to work the next day finishing the "dreaded" walkway that Stan was working on when he broke his ankle.  As a matter of fact, Stan was so worried that Bart might have an accident out there also, that he kept reminding him over and over to be careful. Finally  Bart assured Dad that it wasn't "the Bermuda Triangle out there, just the side of the house."  Here he is cleaning up after a perfect job.  
It really turned out nice.  Before the walkway there were some stairs there, but the purpose of this was to make it possible to "roll" things (like marimbas and vibraphones) down the side of the house to the basement, rather than having to take them apart and haul them down the stairs inside.  It works great!
Having the walkway finished also meant that we could get the cabinet that Stan built from the garage to the bonus room downstairs.  It was in three sections, so Bart took each one of those down and then installed them for us . . . 
. . . while Dad looked on.  No need for supervision here--just watching.  Pathetic sight, isn't it?
So here's a big THANK YOU to Bart.  It was so nice to have the instruments downstairs, to be able to unpack all the boxes of stuff that went into the cabinet, and to have the cabinet out of the way in the garage making it a lot easier for Dad to navigate with the crutches/walker/wheelchair (depending on the mode of transportation for the day) when getting into the car.  We were consigned to the fact that the whole job would not be finished before spring, since I'm sure that winter will set in before Stan is truly mobile again. I have to say, though, aside from all that Bart accomplished,  it was just plain fun having him around for those few days.  He really cheered up the old folks who were getting a tad discouraged.  We love you Bart!! 




2 comments:

Casey said...

We love Bart, too. He is so kind and thoughtful. The walkway turned out great. Way to go, Bart.

Anonymous said...

At the rate that my most favorite Aunt and Uncle are going, that walk way may be perfect for your walkers to roll on!!!!
I miss you and am so sorry about your kidney stones. I love you both, and yes i would agree with Aunt Andrea, Uncle Stan looks pathetic sitting there "supervising".