Sunday, August 31, 2008

More Reunion Photos



Okay, so I'm new at this blogging thing, and keep having problems getting all the pictures in the order I want.  Here are my last two from the reunion.  The day after the dinner, we had a brunch . . . very relaxed and more time for visiting. 
I thought it would be fun to gather up all the people there from our old neighborhood.  We all went to school together at Vista La Mesa Elementary.  L-R:  Pete Danielson, Liuba Cesena (now Lurcook), Burnell Lurcook, Burton Brown, Diane Rider, Lee Birch, ?, and me.  The woman next to me lived on a street beyond where I was allowed to go, so we didn't really play together, and for the life of me, I can't remember her name.  



Here I am talking to Burnell and Liuba.  All three of us lived on the same street.  I loved playing with both of them.  Liuba once found a baby bird and we tried to feed it a worm that was much too big to go down, so we went into her mom's kitchen, got one of her knives and cut the worm into little pieces on her breadboard.  Hmmmm!  Obviously her mom wasn't home at the time, but poor Liuba certainly heard about it when her mom got back.   Burnell and I had a fight one time on the way home from school and were going to settle things with a wrestling match.  I was sure I could take him.  As soon as I got home, I went straight to my room and put on my jeans and headed for the door.  Mom asked me where I was going, and I told her that Burnell had challenged me to a wrestling match.  Imagine my dismay when she told me there was no way that I was going to go out and wrestle him.  I told her I had to, because a bunch of kids from school were all outside waiting to see who won.  She didn't budge, and I had to go out and tell everyone the fight was off, because my mom wouldn't let me wrestle.  Those were the days.
Burnell went to work for my dad after high school, and it was great to hear how much respect he had for him.  He said that Dad was the head guy (next to the owner of the company), and when he walked into the office, you knew he was there and everyone toed the line.  He credited my dad with giving him his start in life.  It was really fun connecting with all these people again.  

1 comment:

maren bosley said...

What great stories! Maybe Ivy gets her spunk from you mom! You need to start writing all these things down.