Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fifty Years ???


Yep!  Believe it or not it has been 50 years since I graduated from high school!!!!  We had the big reunion festivities at the Town and Country Hotel in San Diego.  I admit to being a little nervous about the whole thing . . . what if no one remembered me . . . that sort of thing.  And of course it wouldn't have taken any effort at all to get Dad to stay home, but I knew I'd regret not going, and I have to say he was really a great sport about it.  Our old school newspaper was called the Highland Fling, so in keeping with that, here's the booklet that was distributed at the reunion.  I always thought it was ironic that I graduated from Helix High School in La Mesa where we were the Highlanders, our mascot was a scotty dog, we had a bagpipe band, and our colors were green and grey.  All four of my kids graduated from Upland High School where they were the Highlanders, their mascot was a scotty dog, they had a bagpipe band, and their colors were green and white (they  really went out on a limb there and rejected the grey option).  My high school was built in 1952 and Upland's was 1955.  I'm convinced someone in Upland must have known someone in La Mesa.  
The afternoon before our big dinner dance, Dad and I went on a hike near our hotel.  

The trail ran along the San Diego River . . . hard to believe that it's in the middle of such a metropolitan area.




That night, the Helix High bag pipe band was there to play for us.  Quite nostalgic.  We all loved it.  The evening was great . . . I should have taken more pictures, but fortunately for me, Dad took the ones I have, while I was talking to as many people as possible and trying to catch up on the last 50 years.  We all agreed that it was unique to think that we had known each other at the beginning of our careers and family rearing, and now we hook up again at the other end after we've done it all and retired.
There are a few old classmates that belong to a car club and had brought a few old classic cars and parked them around the area where we gathered before dinner.
Dad particularly liked this one, since it is the exact model of the first car he ever owned . . . an early 40's Ford Sedan.  So even Dad experienced some nostalgia.


1 comment:

maren bosley said...

I love it! I can't believe that was what dad's first car was like! Boy, have times changed?!