Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Plea for Sympathy!

Okay! I've swallowed all my pride, and I'm posting this. I had a little mishap on Easter Sunday. Was out on the back patio with my grandsons--missed the step and fell flat on my face on the concrete. You can see where my glasses cut the bridge of my nose. It scared the kids to death. Brenden wanted to help me up, but I told him to just leave me there until everything quit hurting. He said he was going to go upstairs and get Grandpa. Meanwhile, I was bleeding all over the patio. It's amazing that I wasn't in more pain. I just remember seeing the concrete coming toward me, and thinking that this is really going to hurt. My first thought was that I had broken my teeth, but fortunately they seemed okay. Next worry was that I'd scratched my new glasses (which I did, but only slightly), and then we were all certain that I had broken my nose. Not a pleasant thought. I may have, but since I knew they wouldn't do anything for it (unless it was really bad), I just sat around with ice on it. This picture was taken that evening, after I called Maren and told her what had done. Her first response was, "You are going to take a picture and put it on the blog, aren't you?" Then I called Casey--Her first response, "You need to take a picture and put it on your blog!" How's that for sympathy?

So here I am. Actually, I think I was just getting ready to say something when Stan took the picture, so you can't really see how swollen my lip was, but take it from me--it was really fat!
I should have taken another picture a day or two later, because the bruise above my lip got really ugly. Couldn't hide it, so Stan kept calling me "Charlie" (as in Chaplin) which was a wee bit better than Adolph.

I tried to cover it with all the makeup I had, and Tuesday morning after I got myself looking the best I could, I came into the kitchen and Stan said, "You look like you've been beaten." I said, "Oh (whiny voice here), do I look that bad? I really need to go to the store." Stan: "Do you want me to go for you?" (Insert this implied followup--"You probably shouldn't be seen in public.") He's a real morale booster. Anyway, I'm much better now--the bruise is slowly fading, the lip is back to normal, and I think the swelling is almost gone on the nose (or maybe not, and this is what I'm left with.)










5 comments:

Casey said...

OUCH! Tim and I agree, you look pretty sad. I really am glad you are ok, but even more glad that you posted this so we could see. Hee! Hee!

Les and Cheryl said...

Wow! That's pretty scarey. You and Stan have both had your falls, now that should be the end of it. You do look pretty bad, but your lucky you didn't get hurt worse. Falling is always a fear of ours. I don't even let Les get on a ladder anymore, but then I guess neither one of you were on one either.
Miss you guys. Sometime when we are in AZ or Utah, we will have to get together.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that looks like it hurt alot!! I showed the boys and you know how random Cameron's comments can be...he said Mommy is Aunt Andrea baptized? and I said yes she is, and Cam said, oh she is 8 right mommy!!! What a cutie! Hope your feeling better!!

tuhine peggy said...

Wow! You look like you'd been mugged in Central Park! I'm so sorry that happened to you....... I hope you're feeling lots better by now. We just got home from 3 wks away, so I'm just seeing this. I hope you're a new woman by now! Love & hugs, Peggy

maren bosley said...

MOM! I'm so sorry--that looks like it really hurt. Thanks for posting the pictures because my sympathy level just skyrocketed! I'm glad you're feeling better! LOVE YOU!!!